Presentation from meeting with Superintendent
Click here to view the powerpoint presentation that was shown by the ESE Department at February 20th's meeting with the Superintendent.
Parent Education Workshops
Click here for the list of upcoming Parent Education Workshops for Families of Student with Disabilities.
Click here for information about the 7 Keys to Comprehension: How to Help Your Kids Read and Get it! learning opportunity for parents.
Did you know?
Code of Student Conduct
The 2012-2013 Broward County Public Schools Code of Student Conduct Handbook has gone green and is now available electronically. Click here to access the current version.
Internet Access at Home
Comcast is offering low cost internet access for families on free or reduced price meals. Click here for more information.
If you need to report something you can do so ANONYMOUSLY! No one will ever be able to know where the report came from. We need you to help keep our schools and our children safe, so if there is something going on that needs to be reported please do so!
The text messaging service, TipSoft, allows a response by text message to the originating cell phone without ever knowing the identity of the individual who left the tip. The user’s information is always given an alias and a unique ID before being sent. This secure application allows the tipster and the investigator to have two-way dialog while always keeping the user’s identity completely anonymous.
The School Board of Broward County encourages students to report information about any non-urgent illegal activity, such as vandalism, theft, the sale and distribution of drugs or information about crimes that are being planned.
text: 'SBBC' space with your text message to 274637 (CRIMES)
About Our School
Sunset School was developed by the School Board of Broward County as an educational center servicing Emotionally Behaviorally Disabled (EBD) students ranging in ages from 5 to 22, K to 12th grades. Complete curriculums are offered for elementary, middle and high school students earning both regular and special diplomas. Services are delivered through an interdisciplinary approach which integrates instruction and therapy.
The program at Sunset School is unique in its behavior management system and mental health component which include academic, vocational, therapeutic and behavioral interventions to assist students in making appropriate choices.
The ultimate goal of our program is for students to develop the behavioral and academic skills necessary for a successful and rewarding school experience to help them transition back to a mainstream school or into the community after the school years.
* That each student is a unique combination of personality, behavior and learning patterns. We acknowledge that individual differences should be recognized, met and placed into a realistic perspective.
* That each student should be provided a therapeutic, academic and vocational program which is sequential and systematic in design, and which emphasizes the process of learning.
* That parent involvement is essential in order to foster maximum social, emotional and intellectual growth of the student and to provide consistency from home to school.
* That each student should be provided academic, social and therapeutic experiences that will increase the frequency of positive adaptive behaviors in order to help them become successful members of society.
* That all staff members share responsibility for the development and implementation of the educational program.
* That students have the right to receive ongoing assessments in order to determine program and placement options which best fit their therapeutic, academic and/or vocational needs within the least restrictive environment
The mission of Sunset School is to provide an optimum teaching and learning environment which encourages severely emotionally disturbed students to reach their maximum potential. A shared commitment between the school, the home and the community will enable students to become productive members of a changing society.